Be Safe! Take it Slow on Ice-Covered Roadways
As we approach the winter driving season, your friends at MobilityWorks would like to remind you of some safety tips:
- Make sure that your car is in top working condition. Check your brakes, wipers, defroster, heater, and exhaust system.
- Check your tires. You should have good tread depth on all season or winter tires. Also, check the tire pressure regularly.
- Keep your gas tank at least half full. This will allow you to have enough gas for any disruptions. It will also add extra weight that may be helpful for rear wheel drive vehicles.
- Keep your lights on to maximize your visibility.
- Slow down. Make sure to leave plenty of room between you and the car ahead of you. Accelerate and decelerate slowly.
- Don’t use cruise control on a slippery surface. Under slick conditions you should be in complete control of your vehicle.
- Pay attention to weather reports. If you are taking a trip, know what road conditions that you may be facing, allowing you to adjust your schedule if necessary.
- Be careful on bridges, overpasses, and infrequently travelled roads. These areas will be the first to freeze. Also, when making turns or going around bends, do not overturn your steering wheel.
- If you go into a skid, don’t panic. The chances of getting into an accident are greatly reduced if you can control your vehicle in a skid.
- As the days are shorter, be careful of drowsiness while you are driving. If you are tired and not alert, pull off to a safe area and rest.
Your friends at MobilityWorks want you to arrive at your destination safely, and we hope these tips help. Please call us at 1-877-275-4930 or visit us at www.mobilityworks.com if you have any questions. Please let us know what you think of these tips!