Hiring an in-home caregiver can help provide peace of mind to those providing care for a loved one. There are many agencies that hire caregivers across the United States, but how do you know which one is the right fit for you? Here is a list of 5 tips to help you find the best match:
- Determine Your Needs – The first step is determining if you need a nurse or a caregiver. Caregivers are able to handle tasks such as personal care, cooking meals, running errands and assisting with housework. If you are going to need them to help with medical issues such as a catheter or wound care, you will need a certified nurse.
- Online Research – Once you have decided if you need a caregiver or nurse, compile a list of all of the companies and individuals in your area that offer in-home care. Read reviews and comments online to narrow down the possibilities.
- Ask Questions – Having a prepared list of questions that pertain to your situation will be very helpful. When you call the potential candidates, ask them all the same questions and write down their answers. One very important question to ask companies is if they do criminal background checks and drug testing on all applicants before hiring.
- Schedule a Care Consultation – Any company or individual should be happy to meet with you for a no cost, no obligation consultation. This is an opportunity to gather additional information and ask questions.
- Research Financial Assistance – Check with your health care insurance to see if any in-home nursing or caregiving is covered under your policy. Financial assistance may also be available if the person receiving the care is a veteran or has a long -term care insurance policy.