You may not be able to bring in 2021 with your friends and family in the traditional way this year, but you can still celebrate in style from the comfort of home! Here are some tips for throwing a virtual New Year’s Eve bash that will be remembered for years to come.
1. Send the Invites
Sure, we all know where your virtual party will be held – from everyone’s separate homes – but what time should people log on? Are pets or children welcome to crash the event? Sending an invite may seem unnecessary but it lets people know what they should expect and how to prepare accordingly. You can create your own invitations or use a tool like Evite for an effortless design.
It’s also important to communicate ahead of time what platform your party will be on, in case guests need to download an app. Zoom and Skype are popular tools for video calls, but you can also utilize an option like Facebook Rooms, which allows you to invite up to 50 friends to your video call with no time limit.
2. Decorate Your Space
There’s no need to decorate your whole house if people will only see what’s directly behind you during the event, but use the visible space to your advantage! Hang streamers behind your chair to create a fun backdrop or find a fun virtual background that features fireworks. No one has to know it only took a few minutes to put together!
3. Plan Fun Activities
What’s a party without a few fun games? Here are some virtual activities to get the festivities started:
- Karaoke – You can find plenty of sing-along karaoke videos on YouTube to let your inner superstar shine or let your guests partner up for a duet.
- New Year’s Eve Bingo – Email each guest a bingo card with items they can search for throughout the night such as “Clock,” “Dancing,” or “Fireworks.” You can create your own or find pre-made cards here.
- Simon Says – Guests of all ages can join in on this classic game. Once a player is out, you can have them turn their camera off to make it easier to see who is still playing.
- Craft Contest – You can plan ahead for each guest to complete the same craft project and see whose turns out the best (or worst), or set a timer to see who can create a masterpiece using household objects in 15 minutes or less!
4. Watch the Ball Drop in Times Square
The New Year’s Eve ball drop in Times Square will look a little different heading into 2021 as organizers have opted for a virtual celebration. You can still watch the iconic ball drop with your loved ones by sharing a live stream of the event, or even tuning in to the same channel.
5. Share Your Resolutions
The end of the year is the ideal time to reflect on your growth over the past twelve months and think ahead to what you want the next twelve to look like. Sharing your New Year Resolutions with those you love could motivate you to follow through with them more than you might if you kept them to yourself. Check out this advice for sticking to your New Year’s Resolutions.
6. Have Party Favors Delivered
A few days before your party, consider putting together little gift bags with party favors to send to your guests. These could include 2021 eyeglasses, candy or other treats, or noisemakers.
2020 has forced us to rethink the way we spend time with our loved ones but that doesn’t mean you have to compromise on making memories together. Hopefully, these ideas can help your family stay connected this holiday season. From all of us at MobilityWorks, have a safe and Happy New Year!
Sign-up with our email list to receive our latest promotions, news and events!