If you, a loved one, or a friend are considering purchasing a mobility scooter for the first time, there are several questions you may have during the buying process. With different styles and brands of scooters available, there are some important things to consider before purchasing. Below is a list of five things to consider before buying a mobility scooter:
What is your reason for needing a scooter?
- One of the most important things to consider is whether the condition of the person using the scooter will change. For example, if it is for someone with arthritis, it’s crucial to think of how limited their mobility may become in the next few years. A scooter that may work well for limited use and is easy to transport could be ideal for the next few months, but it might not meet their needs a year from now.
How often will you be using the scooter?
- Answering this question can help determine the best style of scooter to purchase. For someone who is only going to be using the scooter a few times per week, a Pride Go Go Sport 3 Wheel Scooter might be the best option because of how easy it can be transported. However, if you plan to use the scooter on a daily basis, the Golden Buzzaround XL may be a better fit for its’ durability.
Will you be using the scooter outside of your home?
- For anyone who is planning to take their scooter on the go, this creates several additional factors to consider. Scooter lifts can be installed on almost any vehicle, but only certain styles of lifts will fit the car you own. If you are planning to spend long amounts of time using the scooter away from home, battery life will be another factor to consider.
Will you be traveling with your mobility scooter?
- This can also help determine which type of mobility equipment will be necessary to transport the scooter. There are three main styles of scooter lifts: Platform, Hoist and Exterior. How independent someone is can make a big difference when it comes to loading and securing the scooter onto the lift.
Are you be able to transfer from the scooter into a vehicle?
- Turning Seats are a great option for anyone who needs help getting in and out of a vehicle. If you are able to transfer and walk around the vehicle on your own, a platform style lift may be the most convenient solution.
There are so many factors to consider when purchasing any type of mobility equipment. That’s why at MobilityWorks our Certified Mobility Consultants will ask the right questions and conduct a full needs analysis before recommending any mobility solutions. We are also able to finance adaptive equipment, such as scooter lifts, and will work with you to find a comfortable monthly payment.