The oldest city in Georgia offers a unique charm that attracts millions of people each year. There are countless historic homes and beautiful parks that offer an exciting visit for everyone that goes. Below is a list of 6 fun and accessible activities to try out during your next visit to Savannah.
1. Forsyth Park: Forsyth Park is a 30-acre park in the Historic District of the city. It offers beautiful paths to explore as well as areas for children to play and fields for various sports, all of which are accessible. There is also a massive fountain and café perfect for the hottest days
2. Fort Pulaski National Monument: A short 15-minute drive from the Historic District will take you onto Cockspur Island, where the monument is located. Here you can explore the previous testing grounds for the Union Army during the American Civil War.
3. The Olde Pink House: Built in 1771, this house is covered in a pink stucco which makes it a unique sight to see. Explore old colonial architecture up close and try traditional southern cuisine.
4. Savannah River Cruise: With accessible deck options, these cruises allow you to see the city from a different angle. Learn a lot about the beautiful sights you pass on the tour and enjoy a meal too.
5. Trolley Tours: Savannah offers a variety of trolley tours, most of which easily accommodate a wheelchair. This experience offers an amazing opportunity to learn about the different landmarks in Savanah while being able to interact with your tour guide, an expert of the city. There are even a lot of trolley ghost toured offered, which take you to the most haunted spots in one of America’s most haunted cities.
6. Fort James Jackson: Two miles east of Savannah is this National Landmark, the oldest standing brick fort in Georgia. It was built between 1808-1812 by Thomas Jefferson as a way to protect the city during any potential wars. The tour is almost entirely on the ground level, and you can see the firing of their cannons twice a day.
With all the thrilling things to do in Savannah, it is the perfect place to rent an accessible vehicle from MobilityWorks. During the month of April, we are offering 10% off Accessible Van Rentals* at our Savannah location. All of our rental vans come equipped with easy-to-use retractable tie-downs and are available for a day or weeks at a time. You also have peace of mind with our 24-hour emergency hotline in case of emergency.
Call today to make a reservation at 1.877.275.4915. Reservations also can be requested online at www.MobilityWorks.com.